Now more than ever, our homes have become a place of refuge. We believe the garden possesses a healing nature that is soothing to the soul. Our gardens have always been our sanctuaries. Below are some of our favorite ways to create a place of solace in any outdoor space.
2. Bring in colors that inspire you. Bright pops of colorful fabric or vividly hued blooms can show off your personality and influence your mood, harnessing a sense of calm or creativity.
3. Opt for an ottoman to put your feet up for truly laid back lounging. “Comfort is first and foremost,” says co-founder Anne Massie. “The comfort factor dictates everything and can include creating a spot with shade, placing a bench in a beautiful sight line and at the place in the garden where you want to sit and admire the view, rest from your work, or even collect your tools while working.”
4. Incorporate a variety of textures in both plant surroundings and furniture, such as the organic patterns in our Technical Stone tops, the carved look of our Albemarle Dining Table’s feet or the fluted sides of our Suhling Table.
5. Light candles in the evening for instant ambience. Anne often uses antique Moroccan lanterns lit with tea lights around her terrace and in a line on the lawn forming a path to the pool, whereas the soft sparkle of glass votives lit with tea lights can be found in the evenings throughout Will’s garden.
6. Use potted plants to strategically define and accentuate the space, such as our elegant palm boxes. “Palm boxes help to define a room,” says Will Massie, “they are perfect to punctuate a room or create structure on a large terrace.”
7. Create an environment that welcomes your favorite activities. Sun chaises and cozy nooks to curl up in compliment reading, an open lawn provides space to play fetch with your four-legged best friend, and a variety of plants to tend to are a gardener’s dream. “Focus on the garden tasks that you really enjoy,” says Anne Massie, “I love to prune, it feels so artistic.”